Monday, August 04, 2008

Playgirl Magazine Folds

Just saw a blurb on Huffington Post that the long time "women's magazine" Playgirl has decided to shutter its print edition. It will continue on the web but no more as a print publication.

I remember my mom deing so excited when Playgirl first came out. She got herself a subscription and proudly displayed it on the coffee table of our home. I guess all those years of my dad reading the "articles" in Playboy got to her.

For gay men, Playgirl offered mainstream availability of "beefcake" photos. You could always buy a Playgirl and claim it was for your girlfriend. Gurlfriend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember buying my first issue of Playgirl in 1977 and sharing it with my girlfriends, giggling all the while.

I haven't looked at one in years but all the same I'm sorry to see it go.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Megan Hussey, leader of the Playgirl Posse; a Playgirl fan club that's 98 percent female. Women do read Playgirl and we look forward to the online edition; but, like Anonymous said, I think every gal will remember when she bought her first print issue--we are sorry to see the print edition go.