Tuesday, September 04, 2007

News, Spin & The Daily Show

My partner mentioned this strange quandary to me last week and I really think he may be on to something. Lots of new last week was worthy of the Daily Show’s acerbic wit, but they were on hiatus for Labor Day. Now considering Gonzales tendered his resignation earlier than first reported and Larry Craig was actually arrested back in June, isn’t it funny how those events whose announcements were controlled, hit during a week when Jon Stewart was on vacation?

Just as the Bush administration and other political folks like to dump bad news on Fridays when they will dissipate over the weekend in a cloud of sports and recreational activities, I have to wonder if the Daily Show’s schedule may also be a factor in when bad news is passed off to the public. Since numerous polls have shown that people actually rely on the Daily Show for real news, even though it is ostensibly as “fake news” show, if I were a political spin-doctor, I would avoid it like the plague. This isn’t the first time stuff like this has happened, and if someone with more time on their hands than me looked into it, I bet there would be a collation.

Think about it!

No comments: