Wednesday, October 25, 2006

US Ranks 53rd In Press Freedom! What Is Happening?

I constantly was told growing up that America is the most free country in the world. We have the highest standard of living, and the most press freedoms of any country in the world.

Well you can imagine my surprise when I discovered we are neither of those things. Looks like we only rank 6th in standard of living. Still in the top 10 but less than Norway, Sweden, Canada, Belgium and Australia. And free press?

Well we rank in a tie with Botswana, Croatia and Tonga in press freedom at a lowly 53 place. That amazes me! We are less free, according to the worldwide press organization Reporters Without Borders, that every nation in the European Union and a large number of former Soviet Republics! Depressing? You bet, but next time you hear some politician lie about our freedom, let he or she know the truth and maybe we can change this.

According to Thomas Jefferson, "…were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter." Time to reclaim our freedom. I’ve had enough and I will vote straight Democratic Ticket this year. Time to send a message to Congress

No comments: