Monday, September 18, 2006

Pope Angers Muslims, What Did He Expect?

In years past, though I didn’t agree with the Pope on many issues, I gave him credit for at least having a reasonable point of view and having a high degree of intelligence. The current Pope makes me wonder. First, I am not Catholic, so what the pope declares is of little theological meaning to me. That being said, I am a Christian and the actions of any Christian church affects the way others look at me, even if my beliefs differ considerably.

The current Pope, Benedict XVI came to power with warnings that he was a hard-liner, but never did anyone mention that he had only a loose grasp on reality. The Pope, quoting a 15th-century Byzantine emperor, told his audience at the University of Regensburg: "Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."

Does he really think these are not "Fighting Words" for Muslims? Is he so out of touch with the world situation that he believes he can spout this medieval tripe and not become the object of rage in the Muslim world? Nonsense, he knows it is a sore spot and was sure to cause inflamed tempers. I believe it’s his agenda to heighten tensions and start a Holy War for real. Remember the Catholic Church was behind the Crusades, and we remember how well those went.

His apologies ring hollow and I sincerely hope someone can pour oil on the troubled waters of this situation before it explodes into a real clash of civilizations. I would say nobody wants that , but recently I am not so sure.

No comments: