Saturday, April 14, 2007

Burbujas Resurfaces In Mexico City

Yesterday I was talking with an associate about my checkered past. When I spoke of the year I spent in Mexico working as a producer for Publicidad Metropolitana and Televisa, their ears perked up. They asked what programs I worked on and when I told them Burbujas, they smiled in recognition. I am always surprised when someone here knows about that program. Burbujas was the brain child of Sylvia Roche, a very talented and wise writer who used some wonderful characters to teach children about everything from geography to ecology.

I worked with Sylvia and the group who produced the show and also wrote music for the production. They had recorded two albums of music with Juan Garcia Esquivel, a man they called the Liberace of Mexico. The music was fun and the production values were pretty good. Sylvia asked me to write some songs for an upcoming show about the circus. I composed about 8 songs for her lyrics and recorded the tracks here in Dallas. Later, I went to Mexico where the performers on the show recorded the vocals. Two additional tracks were created by Esquivel to complete the album.

Since it was a work for hire, I was not credited with the composition, but as a producer. Esquivel was credited as author. I didn’t mind much since I did get paid and had so much fun doing the recording. The show was a hit and we even created a live version that toured Mexico in a tent for a while.

All this leads to my conversation. While we chatted my friend Googled the show’s title and came up with a surprise. It turns out that "Vamos al Circo" (Let’s Go to the Circus) was playing as a live show at the Sheraton Hotel in Mexico City! Amazing that a production I was part of almost 22 years ago is making a comeback as a nostalgia piece for families.

No comments: